Thursday, November 8, 2012

Snow, Warm Clothes & Another day of giving Thanks

Yesterday morning we awakened to increased winds, rain and falling temperatures.  Throughout the day the rain slowly turned to sleet and then snow, the wind increased to hurricane speeds and the temperatures dipped below freezing.  Through the night the snow continued to fall, the snow plows cleared the roads and I found it incredibly difficult to sleep with the thumping sound of ice hitting our windows as it fell from 50 stories above.  It was unnerving!  Today, Gayland and I did venture out during lunch where I was able to snap a picture of the snow that accumulated on the ground overnight.  As you can see the majority of it melted as the sun came up.   Amazingly, the temperature was not as cold as we expected and the skies were a perfect shade of blue.  It was a glorious day in New York City.


As I stated yesterday, we received our first batch of mail, which was the highlight of the week (aren't we easy to please?).  Today, we received two boxes of goodies from our families and just in the nick of time.  I received warm pajamas (see picture below where I'm sporting frog jammies and fuzzy socks), a sweater, scarf, gloves, house shoes, books and a *bracelet.  G received pants, socks, a fleece, sweater and knit hat (see his gorgeous look below as well).  Rumor has it; we have another box of goodies arriving tomorrow, which we are so excited about!  It's the smallest things these days that make us so stinkin' excited!

*When my step-dad was fighting his deadly battle with cancer, Drew (my brother) and I gave my Mom a James Avery bracelet with the Bible verse "I can do all things through Christ who strengths me - Philippians 4:13".  Imagine my surprise when at the bottom of our package I found this bracelet.  It just about sent me into a crying fit but I decided that would not be beneficial to anyone and instead called my Mom to thank her for the incredibly kind gift.  






Another Day of Giving Thanks - With Thanksgiving two weeks away, I love counting the blessings that are bestowed upon us each day.  Today is no different!  There are three things I'm thankful for today:  Friends, Family and the Generosity of sharing.

Friends:  Most of you know Gayland and I made the decision to elope last year.  While waiting for the shuttle to take us back to the airport for our return trip to Austin, we struck up a conversation with another couple waiting with us and learned they too lived in Austin and were on the same flight we were back to Texas.  Over the next four or five hours we talked and made a commitment to meet for dinner the next week.  That dinner meeting happened and as they say, the rest is history!  Kristin and Curt are two of our favorite people on earth and our dearest friends in Austin.  In true "Kristin spirit" she had an idea for us to FedEx our car keys to them and they would pick our car up from the airport, take it to our house and send us any items we needed from home.  When determined it wasn't safe for Gayland to fly back to Austin, we decided to take Kristin and Curt up on their offer and last week sent the car keys packin' back to Texas.  This alone is a very generous offer but wouldn't you know when they got to the airport on Tuesday to pick-up the car, we had a flat tire that Curt had to fix it on the side of the road.  Unbelievable!  And to add insult to injury, they live clear on the opposite end of Austin from us so to get to the north side takes effort and planning.  Of course, all of this was done without one bit of complaining and in true spirit of love and friendship.  There will never be words to express our appreciation to Kristin and Curt for their generosity (and we are thrilled to receive a few last items from home soon)!

Family:  Our families have been unbelievable!  From our parents to aunts, uncles and siblings, the outpouring of love and concern has been humbling.  We are so thankful to have such amazing people that Baby P will get to grow-up loving and learning from!

Sharing Stories:  I received a note yesterday from an old high school friend about his family's similar story to parenthood.  Their journey was much worse than ours with intertwined tragedy but the ending is happy and completely inspiring.  I am humbled and thankful this friend entrusted his story with me as hearing of and from people that have had similar struggles to parenthood and now enjoy healthy, vibrant children years later, eases the constant fear we live in.

Lastly, I want to say something that is weighing heavily on my heart and mind tonight.  Yesterday, it was beautiful watching the weather turn from rain into snow but my heart grew heavy when the local NYC news stations began reporting about all of those in outlying areas that were going to spend another night without heat, electricity and in some cases water.  It truly is unbelievable!!  And today, in Midtown Manhattan, as Gayland and I were walking to the sub shop for lunch we saw something astonishing...a line of cars five blocks long waiting for gasoline.  I could not believe my eyes and neither could G.  There are no words to accurately communicate the destruction Hurricane Sandy and now the Nor’easter caused New York and New Jersey.   Though our situation is significant to us, when we turn on the news and see how many people have lost everything (and I mean "everything"...their homes, pets, vehicles, etc.) I find it hard to continue blogging about what we're faced with.  Please know we're aware in the whole scheme of life we truly are blessed to be where we are with the opportunities we are given.  I want to keep up with this blog for selfish reasons; this truly is therapy for me since we're not in Texas or Tennessee with our friends and families.  With this being said, I hope you will pray for those in this area that need it much more than we do.

QUOTE OF THE DAY:  When you have come to the edge of all light that you know and are about to drop off into the darkness of the unknown, Faith is knowing one of two things will happen:  There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly. - Patrick Overton

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Novice Guide to Amergris Caye, Belize